Thursday, January 6, 2011

Five Guys - best burger in America???

This week I found myself in Greensboro, North Carolina.  As usual I enjoyed a variety of foods, including everything from Sushi to BBQ.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE cheeseburgers. 
About a millisecond after I heard about Five Guys I had already decided I was going to go there.

Five Guys is rated as the best burger in America by multiple authorities and also the best French Fries by many others.  This is pretty strong endorsement for lowbrow food considering that their burgers are around $5 each. 

So after about 10 hours at work, I made my way to the hotel, got all my workout gear and headed to the YMCA.  I did a swim / run workout that went until about 9 PM, needless to say I was pretty wasted by the time I rolled into the parking lot at Five Guys.


I walked in to find bags of potatoes, containers of fryer oil, and boxes of peanuts stacked all around the red and white tiled room like decorations.  The walls were covered with the various awards that the chain has received.  There were 4 groups of people in the restaurant basically all small families. 

When I stepped up to the counter I asked what I should get.  I wanted whatever they recommended as the best or most signature burger and side.  I ended up with a Bacon Double Cheeseburger "all the way" with fries and a Cherry Coke.  All The Way basically means it gets all the standard toppings (Mayo, Relish, Onions, Lettuce, Pickles, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Ketchup, Mustard).  The fries were hand cut potatoes with the skin left on.  The Cherry Coke was there to wash it all down.


Was it the best burger I ever had?

Good question.

My answer:  It was damn good but I think my burgers are better.  The fries however are the best in the Universe.  They even beat Old Orchard "Pier Fries"  which have always set the standard.

The next time I am in Greensboro, I'll be back for sure.  No doubt.