Monday, November 8, 2010

Inspiration

Inspiration is what everyone needs to get the job done.  It doesn't matter what the job is or what it accomplishes. We all need inspiration.

Personally, my inspiration is always changing.  Some days it's something big that gets me to accomplish the goal and some days it is something very small.

What got me thinking about the topic was that I did my first indoor bike trainer ride of the season. 
I don't care who you are, these indoor rides are torture and a true mental test.  You have to use every tool available to keep yourself pedaling and hold the cadence and pace.  My tools consist of a TV with cycling movies, medals from prior races, race numbers, swim caps, pictures, and a stereo.

One thing that usually gets the job done is the stereo, Ipod attached, with an endless songlist of jams.  Here comes the embarrasing bit....

The song that always makes me move faster.....



On race day it's easy.  You know you are there to compete.  You know who the competition is.  You know you want to win.

In November, in your basement, it's not so easy.  You have to envision your competition in your head.  You ask yourself... Are they working out right now?  Are they working harder than you?  Did they have an extra serving of desert? 

Beyond the music and the pictures, you need strong people around you.  People who believe in you, who support you, who cheer you on even when you are the last one to finish.

It's a fact that when I run by someone cheering my name, my legs feel stronger, my doubts fade, I'm more confident.  These people are my inspiration.

Maybe for you the inspiration comes from someone you lost.  Someone who showed you true strength and courage.  There are so many strong people in my past who showed true courage and strength, sometimes I think about them when the going gets tough.

I once read a quote that said:
"The only person who can tell you YOU CAN'T - is you - and you don't have to listen"