Thursday, September 9, 2010

Giving Back

I like to think that I live a pretty fortunate life.  I have great people around me, I'm healthy, I have a warm place to sleep, things are good.  As I look out at the world, there are people who aren't so fortunate.  They may be homeless, or sick, or maybe their job was sent to Mexico.

As I look back over the past year, one thing I regret is not doing much caritable work.  I want to change that in 2011.  I want to do something to help someone, somewhere, who deserves it.

If you know me, you know I like to do my research on things I participate in.  (since I only have 3 followers, I'll assume the people reading this know me)  So now I'm researching charities.  One great tool that I found is a site called http://www.charitynavigator.org/ that basically rates all the different organizations and how efficient they are.

One thing really grabbed me when I looked at the different groups.  Take American Cancer Society for instance.  They generate over a BILLION dollars in revenue each year, that is just a crap load of money.  I can't even picture what a billion dollars looks like.  The thing is... they spend $282 million just in fundraising and administrative expenses.  That seems a little screwed up to me, so I dug a little deeper.  Their CEO makes $685,000 / year which ain't so bad, not until you read that their Deputy CEO makes $1.02 million / year.  What the heck is up with THAT?  Since when does Barney Fife make more than Andy Griffith, and they are both WICKED RICH! 

So clearly I'm in the wrong racket here.  I'm gonna go strait to Barnes and Noble and pick up some reading material.


But seriously, I need to find a charity that will do something good with the money and won't give it all to some fat cat who rides around in a chauffeured Bentley.

So the options are small and local, or big and not so local.  I think I have already decided that my cause will be focused around Cancer.  After seeing multiple times how this disease has affected so many people around me, I just have to do what I can to help. 

Some people may notice that I wear a LIVESTRONG hat and wrist band and may dismiss it as just being a fanboy for Lance Armstrong.  Well, honestly I am a fan, but not of his bike racing.  He has managed to improve peoples awareness of a disease and offer resources to people who need them.  I'm a fan of THAT. 

So what am I gonna do?


A lemon aid stand is a good idea, but may not be up my alley.  I'll have to find a way that fits in with my personality and interests.  Like I said in the beginning, I have lots of good people around me and I know they will help. 

I'm fairly sure I would like to help Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as a charitable cause and I a couple wacky ideas on how to do it.  Since we have already established that you all know me, you also know that sometimes I can be a little untraditional. 

The first question I've been asked is "what is your goal?" Well I'm not sure yet, but it's bigger than a breadbox and smaller than a house.

So stay tuned, maybe I'll post about some of my wacky ideas.